2011-04-13

Site-to-Site VPN Setup

Finally got around to re-installing routers at home and in the office.

I had a really nice setup running Open-WRT on a pair of Linksys WRT54G's for a few years.

But when One of the routers died, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to newer 802.11n wireless, and maybe get some attached storage as well.

I ended up get a Netgear WNR3500L, the (Ahem) open-source router.
I also had an extra WRTSL54GS lying around which could go to the office since wireless is infrequently used there and speed is not an issue.

As long as I was re-installing everything, I thought that surveying the latest developments.
Thnigs haven't dramatically changed, although everything seems to have gotten incrementally better and easier.

I ended up choosing the Tomato v-1.28 distro, actualy, a rebuilt version of it which has both openvpn and usb-storge support all ready to go.

I managed to bring up a site to site vpn setup using only the GUI. Although key generation was done on an ubuntu machine (and the certificated pasted in the GUI).

Note goedel:/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/keys,goedel:/etc/openvpn/vars

The VPN came up right away, but to see the network on the client side, I had to follow these instructions.

VPN-Server-Config / Server1 / Advanced :
check: Manage Client-Specific Options
and enable push to rd-client|192.168.3.0/24.
Done.

Note gotta archive
goedel:/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/keys,goedel:/etc/openvpn/vars
darwin:/home/daniel/Downloads/Tomato*

No comments: